Dental services are available with an emphasis on children and prevention. Dentist services are offered at the Stacy McKay Health & Education Center located at Portage High School East, Rivera Dental Center in Lake Station, the Merrillville Center, and our center in Hammond, Indiana. NorthShore Health Centers is able to offer our communities dental services that meet the needs of everyone in the family. All staff members are excellent clinicians with outstanding credentials and extensive experience in family dentistry.
Dental hygienists are available to clean teeth, examine patients for signs of oral diseases such as gingivitis, and provide other preventative dental care. They also educate patients on ways to improve and maintain good oral health.
Dentists diagnose and treat problems with a patient’s teeth, gums, and related parts of the mouth. They provide advice and instruction on taking care of teeth and gums and on diet choices that affect oral health. NorthShore’s dentists promote good dental health and the prevention of dental diseases.
- Remove decay from teeth and fill cavities
- Repair cracked or fractured teeth and remove teeth
- Place sealants or whitening agents on teeth
- Write prescriptions for antibiotics or other medications
- Take and examine X-rays of teeth, gums, the jaw, and nearby areas for problems
- Make models and measurements for dental appliances, such as dentures, to fit patients
- Teach patients about diet, flossing, use of fluoride and other aspects of dental care
NorthShore Health Centers’ policy is that a parent/guardian must fill out a consent form giving permission for another adult to accompany their child to the child’s medical, dental or vision appointments. For the protection of your child, we are no longer accepting written permission letters or verbal concept over the phone as acceptable documentation of minor consent. Please print out the Minor Consent Form below and return to any NorthShore Health Centers’ locations or stop by one of our locations for a copy of the form. Once you complete the form, it will be documented in the child’s file and referenced for all future appointments.