Healthy New Year’s Resolutions from North Shore Health Centers
With the coming of 2017, many people will be trying to make healthy adjustments to their lifestyle. Let’s take a look at several things you can do to become a fitter, happier, and healthier person in 2017.
What are some healthy New Year’s resolutions I can do in 2017?
- When you wake up, work out. Easier said than done, right? But a morning workout routine is very efficient at counteracting feelings of stress, regulating sleep/waking patterns, and improving your mood throughout the day. By working out in the mornings after you wake up, you are releasing endorphins that make you feel healthy and like you are beginning your day on a positive note. Hold yourself accountable by signing up for a workout program or making solid plans with a friend.
- If a morning workout is just something you cannot bring yourself to do, try simply getting outside for a short morning walk to get the blood flowing. Plus, being exposed to sunlight early in the morning helps to set your circadian rhythm and sleep cycle, making you feel more awake. A smart tip is to set out your shoes and workout clothes the night before, so you can roll out of bed and get moving quickly.
- It’s no secret that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but did you know that what you eat is just as important as eating breakfast itself? The right mix of carbs, fats, and protein is ideal because your body converts carbohydrates into energy immediately, while proteins and fats take longer to digest, so you get both an instant energy boost and long lasting energy. Experiment with healthy combinations to see what works best for you.
- Proper hydration is key after a night of rest. Drink at least 8 ounces of water upon waking. Is plain water a little too boring for you? Try muddling cucumber, mint, or citrus into your water, or try hot water with lemon.
- Switch from coffee to green tea. Not only will this begin a step down of your daily caffeine intake, but if you drink coffee with milk and sugar, you will cut out dairy, fat, and sucrose. Not to mention the antioxidant health benefits of green tea. If you can replace your morning java with a cup of green tea, you will be well on your way to a healthier New Year.
- Humans are the only animals that don’t stretch upon waking up in the morning. Help warm up your muscles and prepare for the day by doing some stretching first thing in the morning.
- Listening to upbeat music in the morning can kick your day off right. It can be motivational, and put you in the mood to get things done. Build your favorite playlists or use apps like Pandora and Spotify to discover new music that puts you in an energetic happy mood.
With these tips, you will be all set up to enjoy a healthier New Year and many more to come!