Welcome to your Patient-centered Medical Home (PCMH)
A medical home is a team approach to helping you understand and manage your health. Your medical home team includes your health care provider, others in your life who support you, and—most importantly —YOU.
Your medical home can:
- Help you understand and manage your health care
- Help answer all your health questions
- Listen to your concerns
- Work with other medical providers when necessary
- Coordinate your care through additional services
- Encourage you to take an active role in your own health care
What can you expect?
In a medical home, you and your medical team will work together to set goals to improve your overall health. As a significant member of the team, you will be first in communicating the areas that are really important to you.
- Your team will answer any questions you have and help you better understand your health care needs.
- If you need to get help from doctors outside of NorthShore, your team can support you through any situation you encounter.
- When you have concerns about your health, you and your medical team will discuss all of your options and develop a plan to address each concern.
Together, you and your team can work on a plan that:
- Is custom-made just for you
- Is coordinated with other health care experts as needed
- Connects you with your health care team
- One-on-one consults about diabetes from a diabetic paraprofessional
- Nutrition health information for chronic conditions
- Case management services
Working together with your team can help improve the quality of your health and shorten the time it takes you to get the care you need.
What can you do?
Your commitment to your health includes:
- Active involvement in your care
- Providing feedback and talking openly with your team
- Actively participating in goal-setting
- Taking care of your health
Our commitment to your health includes:
- Improving accessibility and safety
- Providing access to evidence-based care
- Patient and family education
- A process for goal setting and self-management support
- Addressing behavioral health needs
Benefits to a Patient-Centered Medical Home
- Better relationships with your doctors
- Focus on prevention
- More information about your health at your fingertips
- A team approach—your care team will include a combination of: Doctors, Nurses, Care Coordinators, Inreach Coordinators, Referral Coordinators, Front Desk Staff and Schedulers.