Family Practice Physician for Chesterton, IN
Taking care of your health should be top-priority. For acute and chronic health conditions, it’s best to catch them early for treatment. NorthShore Health Centers is a family practice doctor and we provide a variety of healthcare services for Chesterton, IN. Our seasoned physicians and nurse practitioners provide complete medical care for your whole family and are trained to do so, regardless of type of illness, sex or age. Our emphasis on prevention is there to keep you and your family happy and healthy. Additionally, your physical and mental well-being is considered when addressing your health issues.
When you’re visiting NorthShore Health Centers as a patient, a family physician will go over your medical history, any vital signs you’re exhibiting and any other information that is collected by our expert nursing staff. We’ll order further tests for you in order to rule a diagnosis if necessary. A treatment plan will be created by a NorthShore Health Centers’ family physician or family nurse practitioner, and when necessary, a behavioral health plan consultant. A treatment plan can include prescribing medications, making dietary changes, scheduling minor surgical procedures, or implementing any other medical care that is needed. Follow up visits are also scheduled so we can provide the best medical care for you. Our clinical expertise will meet all your healthcare needs. NorthShore Health Centers is dedicated to all our patients and we’re committed to helping you feel your best and live well.
NorthShore Health Centers’ Family Practice
Advancements in technology make critical patient information readily available in an instant to our providers. So you can rest easy knowing that you can get the best healthcare without having to wait.
The family practice physicians at NorthShore Health Centers are interested in providing total healthcare solutions to all their patients. We focus, but aren’t limited to, the following health issues:
- Allergies – Diagnosing allergies typically begins with your family practice physician asking a series of questions. These could include: What symptoms do you have? How long have you had these symptoms? How long do the symptoms last? Do they come and go throughout the year? Do they get worse around pets? Do they trigger when you’re indoors or outdoors? Do they keep you from doing things or from sleeping at night? Are you taking allergy drugs, and do they help? Do you have other health conditions?
- Skin Conditions – A family practice physician can treat skin conditions. Anything from mild acne, athlete’s foot, dandruff, mild-benign lesions, simple cysts, bug bites, minor rashes, warts and rosacea.
- Asthma – Symptoms of asthma usually consist of: fits of coughing and coughing with mucus, tightness in the chest and wheezing. Severe asthma attacks can be life threatening, so it’s crucial to see your family practice doctor right away. Asthma can be caused by genetics, having respiratory infections during childhood and coming in contact with allergens or infections during infancy or early childhood. Many other things can cause asthma to flare up, including: allergies, viral infections, perfume, tobacco, exercise, cold air, heartburn, air pollutants and chemical fumes. If you’re experiencing asthma symptoms, visit your family practice physician.
- Thyroid – The symptoms of Hypothyroidism begin slow and are often confused with stress or depression. The common symptoms consist of: weight gain, fatigue, muscle issues (weakness, aches, cramps, stiffness or tenderness), sensitive to cold temperatures, constipation, dry skin, puffy face, hoarse voice, joint pain, brittle hair and fingernails and forgetfulness.
- Stomach and Intestinal Illness – There are many potential causes that lead to stomach and intestinal illnesses, that’s why it’s important to see your family practice physician so you can diagnose the issue. Your family doctor can perform a comprehensive physical examination, talk about the symptoms you’re experiencing and follow up with questions about the pain/issues you’re having.
- High Blood Pressure – High blood pressure, or hypertension, can be a serious health problem if it is ignored. There are two types of high blood pressure: primary hypertension and secondary hypertension. Primary hypertension is the most common, and it’s when your blood pressure is high with no known cause. Secondary is when your blood pressure is high because of another health complication or the type of medication you’re taking. It’s important to see your family practice physician to monitor your blood pressure levels.
- Elevated Cholesterol – There are two type of cholesterol: good (HDL) and bad (LDL). If your LDL cholesterol levels are high, then you could be at risk for heart disease. Visit your physician to monitor your cholesterol levels and get on a treatment plan.
- Musculoskeletal Pain – Musculoskeletal pain is any type of physical pain your body experiences. This can be associated with sprains, jerking movements, falls, auto accidents, direct blows to the muscles, etc. For the best treatment, you should visit your family practice physician.
- Emotional Well-Being – Illnesses aren’t just limited to physical conditions. At NorthShore Health Centers we can have consultations with a behavioral health consultant to provide you with mental healthcare.
- Diabetes – There are two versions of diabetes: type 1 and type 2. Type 1, or sometimes known as juvenile diabetes, is when the body doesn’t produce insulin. Individuals with type 1 need to be prescribed insulin and monitor their blood sugar throughout the day. Type 2 happens when the body doesn’t produce enough insulin. Pre-diabetes happens when an individual’s blood sugar levels are higher than they should be. Pre-diabetes can be prevented.
Call NorthShore Health Centers Today
Don’t wait and don’t ignore medical issues. Health issues can get more drastic when neglected, and healthcare can become costly. At NorthShore Health Centers, we have certified navigators that can educate and assist uninsured patients with enrolling them in an insurance plan, including Medicaid and Medicare. Our enrollment services are available Monday through Friday either by an appointment or on a walk-in basis. Also available are bilingual employees who can help with our Spanish speaking patients.
NorthShore Health Centers is a non-profit, federally qualified community health clinic in Chesterton, IN. Our healthcare professionals and staff are dedicated to helping you and your family feel good by providing you with the highest level of healthcare. Our services are provided for all patients, regardless of their age, sex, race, religion and ability to pay. We take:
- Hoosier Healthwise Recipients
- Privately Insured Individuals
- Uninsured Individuals
If you’re in Chesterton, IN and need a family practice physician, give NorthShore Health Centers a call or come by our clinic to schedule an appointment today. Let us help you live well and feel better.