Family Practice Physicians for Residents of Lake Station, IN
When you’re looking for a reliable and affordable family physician in Lake Station, IN, contact North Shore Health Centers. We are a nonprofit, federally qualified community health clinic and specialize in family medicine.
What is family medicine? While other doctors may specialize in pediatrics or internal medicine, a family practice physician has had training that emphasizes caring for patients of all ages, in all stages of life. They are considered to be the hub for any and all medical care a patient may need. Having a family practice physician allows for continuity in care and patient/doctor familiarity, which means that your doctor knows you and your health and may be able to detect changes in your health more quickly than a doctor who has never examined you before. Some of the specific benefits of a family practice physician are:
- Familiarity: The doctor and staff are familiar with you and your medical history. This allows for faster diagnosis and earlier recognition of illness.
- Family Medical History: When you take your entire family to the same doctor, any medical issues that could be hereditary are more easily recognized. They also know to test family members if certain types of diseases are found.
- Holistic Care: This means that the doctor is able to treat the whole person, and not just the disease. When you go to emergency care, there is no known history about you, the patient. The emergency doctor doesn’t know what’s happening in your life, with your job or your family. A family care physician is able to offer care to not just the disease in your body but can address emotional factors that could impact your mental and physical health.
- Trust: The physicians and staff at North Shore Health Centers focus on building relationships with each and every one of our patients. This builds a foundation of trust between patient and doctor, which allows for open and honest communication, so there’s less of a chance of misdiagnosis or medical errors.
- Longevity of Care: A family practice doctor is able to offer high-quality care throughout the life of a person. So, a doctor can follow you and your children for the whole of your lives, allowing the doctor to notice even the smallest changes in health.
- Preventative Wellness: Having a family practice physician follow your health and the health of your children allows for proper wellness care. Proper wellness care includes regular checkups, proactive screenings and immunizations.
Family Practice Services at North Shore Health Centers
North Shore Health Centers offers the residents of Lake Station, IN and the surrounding cities a wide variety of services and care for both acute and chronic conditions. Some of the conditions we regularly treat and manage are:
- Diabetes: Diabetes encompasses a number of diseases that involve problems with the release of insulin from the pancreas or the body’s ability to utilize insulin properly.
- Allergies: Allergy recognition and diagnosis can be life-saving. North Shore Health Centers manages allergies at any level, from common seasonal allergies to life-threatening reactions.
- High Blood Pressure: High blood pressure can stem from a variety of sources and can be treated by a number of ways, including diet and medication, depending on severity of the disease.
- Stomach and Intestinal Illness: Stomach and intestinal illness can be chronic or acute, and our qualified staff and family physicians are proficient in treating both. From IBS to stomach ulcers, we can help.
- Elevated Cholesterol: High cholesterol can be the result of unhealthy lifestyle choices, heredity, or a combination of both.
- Skin Conditions: From urticaria to seborrheic dermatitis, our family practice physicians are trained in caring for any skin conditions you or your family may have.
- Asthma: Asthma can be a scary condition because it directly affects a person’s ability to breathe. Our staff is able to care for acute asthma attacks as well as continued care of the disease.
- Thyroid: Your thyroid influences and controls the metabolic processes in the body. Having an over or underactive thyroid can be dangerous and uncomfortable. Management of thyroid problems by a qualified family physician is imperative to good health.
- Emotional Well-being: Our family practice physicians believe in taking a holistic approach to health care. Emotional well-being can directly affect physical well-being, so having a doctor who reviews both can improve overall health. For instance, a patient with migraine headaches may just receive medicinal help from an acute care facility. A family practice physician knows the patient and can review other important factors like diet, sleep habits, stress and personal beliefs and adjust the treatment plan to address other contributing factors.
The family practice doctors at North Shore Health Centers are supported by obstetricians, midwives, pediatricians, nurse practitioners, prenatal coordinators, prenatal care, family care coordinators, optometry services, behavioral services, dental services, ultrasound, radiology and more. So, when you need specialized care, your family care physician will be able to assist you every step of the way and help coordinate your ideal health care.
Convenient Access to Family Practice Doctors
North Shore Health Center is a full-service, nonprofit organization, who is proud to serve the individuals and families of Lake Station, IN and the surrounding cities, with quality health care, regardless of insurance status. Underinsured and uninsured patients are welcome on a scheduled or walk-in basis. We accept:
- Medicaid, HIP and Hoosier Healthwise: We have Medicaid-approved physicians
- Privately Insured Individuals
- Uninsured Individuals: We will charge for services based on an income sliding scale, with only a minimum charge for visit.
- Medicare recipients
- Everyone! We will not deny medical care to any individual, regardless of age, gender, religion, or ability to pay for services.
Comprehensive Family Practice at North Shore Health Centers
If you’re in the Lake Station, IN area and need a family practice physician, contact North Shore Health Centers at 888-313-8557. We are a full-service, nonprofit, federally qualified community health care clinic, and are ready to care for you and your family today!